One of my earliest blog posts was about my belief that trial and error is an essential part of life. I told the story of my disastrous attempt to cover an old footstool using t-shirt yarn. Remember these pictures?
It was horrible!
This post contains affiliate links.
Well, I’ve had it in the back of my mind that I wanted another stab at upcycling my footstool. It was so useful but covered in paint and really not in a presentable state!
Whenever I have been yarn shopping, I have always kept an eye out for something which might work. About a month ago, I was browsing on Love Knitting, I can’t remember what for now, but came across Lion Brand Fast Track Yarn which looked like it might just do the job. And the Taxi Cab Yellow was the perfect colour. I am a bit in love with everything mid-century at the moment which includes all versions of mustard yellow. It was on sale so i decided to give it a go.
Well with all the chaos of my renovations, the yarn has been sat in a bag keeping dust free for a while, but last Sunday night I decided to dig it out and have a go whilst getting stuck into Mind Hunters on Netflix (it’s gruesome but give it a go!).
I had already learned from my last attempt to keep it simple and what kind of worked and what really didn’t. So I decided to just freestyle it using single crochet only, making increases where needed and working in the back loop only to turn corners.
From before I finished the first skein, I knew it was going to work out this time. Sometimes you just get a good feeling about a project. Seeing as how much frogging was involved with my Falling Pines Poncho design process, I figured I was due a break!
Because I was pulling from the middle of the skein, the yarn twisted a bit, but other than that it was so easy to work with and really was fast! Over 3 evenings, I progressed really quickly. Plus I got to dig out my Allen Key set from the tool box (it’s the modern tool of champions!)
I used about 4 and a half skeins and worked the cover in one piece, simply slip stitching it together around the feet and up the middlee. It reminded me a little of covering books with wall paper back in school.
I have to say I am so proud of the finished project. Sometimes things just come out exactly as you see them in your head. I really needed one of those times! I’m so happy to share the result!
I finally have my lounge back (temporarily at least!) so It is such a pleasure to put my feet up and keep on hooking!
If i were to criticise, I would say that it’s slightly too lose on the underneath, but I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t find somewhere to improve!
There’s no pattern for this (though I have friends searching eBay for 15+ year old Ikea footstools for me to cover!), but I wanted to share a success as I am quick to share the disasters! Sometimes you experiment and you get a good result!
To top off last week, I found the most AMAZING original G Plan corner shelving unit at Emma’s (which is an awesome charity!) for an absolute steal. I can’t wait to have no holes in my floors so this can make it’s way to what will eventually be my new studio!
Excuse the mess but it really is a thing of beauty!!
They had 3 more side units which went with it which were in such amazing condition. If I had the space all of them would be in my house right now! Just look!
The one on the far left opened out to a little hidden bar with a mirror on the back – it was just so perfect I almost wet myself right there in the shop!!
On that note, I think I should calm down a little and go have a cup of tea!!
Wishing you an equally successful week!