I’ve been seeing lots of beautiful twisted / turban style headbands around recently (you know that thing when you realise you’re accidentally starring at someone because of their accessories… sorry… that’s me!!!) so I did a quick search to see if there was a simple crochet pattern for one but I couldn’t find what I was looking for so I turned to cut and sew patterns and decided to translate the fabric turban headband versions into a crochet pattern.
This is such a simple and quick pattern which can be made with any yarn so it’s a great stashbuster and an even better last minute make if you’re short a gift!
I hope you enjoy this- I’ve made 3 already!!
The pattern is written using DK yarn and a 4mm hook but can be made using any yarn. Just alter the number of starting chains so your work wraps around your head with around 2 inches to spare.
The item you see here used around 15-20g of Milburn DK from Eden Cottage Yarns.
- I have given instructions for the patten you see here but this project would work with any stitch pattern
- Change the number of stitches in the starting row to change the finished size
- Turning chains do not count as sts
The approximate finished circumference is about 50cm (an inch or two smaller than my head measurement) and about 10cm wide.
I recommend working to your own head measurements to get the best fit.
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- blo = back loop only
- ch = chain
- fsc = foundation single crochet (UK foundation double crochet):click here to learn how to make foundation rows – for a modification, work a chain of the number of stitches given plus 1 then work 1 sc in the second ch from the hook and each ch to the end
- sc = single crochet (UK double crochet)
Crochet Hairband Pattern
Row 1: 85fsc, turn (85)
Row 2: Ch1 (does not count as st), 1sc in blo of each st to end, turn
Rows 3-20: As Row 2
Fasten off leaving a long tail to sew the ends together (see construction tutorial below).
Twisted / turban style crochet headband photo tutorial
Once you have made your crochet fabric, you’re ready to construct the hairband. Below is a photo tutorial showing how to construct your turban style headband:
Construction time: 5 minutes.
How to make a twisted crochet turban headband:
- Create a crochet band
This piece should reach around your head with a couple of inches to spare.
- Fold your band in half
With right side facing you, fold your work in half and place the short ends offset, so the top end reaches half way over the bottom
- Fold half the top end underneath the bottom
So that you are sandwiching the top end in between the fold of the bottom.
- Fold half the bottom end over the top
So that the top is also sandwiched between the bottom. The two ends will interlock so it looks a little like an s shape.
- Stitch through all layers of fabric
Use the yarn tails to securely sew through all four layers.
Make 2 or 3 passes to secure the fabric.
- Open the fabric up into a loop
Check your stitching is secure.
- Turn your headband the right way out
And you’re ready to go!
It really is that simple!!!
I hope you enjoy this tutorial I’m off to make a bunch more of these now!! Don’t forget to share it with your friends using the social share buttons below.
I’d love to see your finished makes using this tutorial, so if you’re on on instagram, make sure you tag me @doraexplored and use the hashtag #hookmehappy.